Apply for a Marriage License
To be married in the State of Indiana, a couple must have a marriage license. To apply for a marriage license in Indiana, both you and your future spouse must appear in person at the Clerk’s Office in an Indiana county where one of you resides, or for non-residents in the Indiana County where the marriage ceremony will be performed.
Are you eligible to be married in Indiana?
- Age: The Clerk can issue a marriage license if:
- Both applicants are 18 years of age or older;
- One or both applicants are 17 and parents or legal guardians are present to provide consent.
- One or both applicants are younger than 17 and have a court order granting permission to obtain a marriage license;
- Exclusions: The Clerk cannot issue a marriage license if:
- Either applicant is under the influence of drugs or alcohol when applying;
- Applicants are more closely related than second cousins (though there is an exception if you are first cousins and both at least sixty-five (65) years of age).
- Either applicant has been judged to be of unsound mind, unless the adjudication has been removed.
- See I.C. 31-11 for more information about state marriage laws.
When to apply?
A marriage license is valid for 60 days from the date it is issued and couples may be married as early as the same day. Couples who do not marry within the 60 days must apply for a new license before marrying.
What to take to the Clerk’s Office?
- Identification: Be sure to have any one of the following forms of identification to prove your identity and date of birth:
- Current, valid driver’s license or state-issued ID card
- Birth Certificate
You will also be required to provide your Social Security Number, although your Social Security Card may not be required.
- Genealogical Information: The Clerk’s Office will collect some family information from you that will be reported to the Indiana State Library (by law) for the purpose of genealogical research. You will need to provide the following for both parents:
- Full Name
- Last known address
- Birthplace (state or foreign country)
How much does it cost?
The marriage license fee is $20 if one or both parties are Indiana residents and $62.00 for out-of-state residents. Each additional copy of the Certified Marriage License (required for name change at BMV, SSN, etc.) is $2.00. These fees must be paid in cash at the time of application.
Are you ready to apply?
If you are eligible as outlined above, have all the necessary documentation, and you are ready to apply for a marriage license, you may apply Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Clerk’s Office, 211 West Madison Street, Plymouth, IN 46563. To reduce your time at the Clerk’s Office you can start the application process online by visiting Marriage License E-file. Both applicants have to appear at the Clerk’s Office together to complete the process and receive your license (as required by law).